Friday, August 26, 2011

The Final Reckoning

Well, it's all over now. I'm back in NZ trying to adjust back to normality (whatever that's supposed to be) and shake off the melancholy that always seems to follow these big trips away. I say 'always', I've only done this twice, but I can sense a pattern forming...

It was a funny last week. I connected with a new friend in a way I hadn't expected and then, just as things were getting interesting, I had to leave. As it happens, she was due to be leaving Canada too about a week later, for a 6 month job in Tanzania, so we were always going to be up against it, but I will be watching with even more interest than any of you to see what developments may occur.

All this meant was that I had one more reason to be reluctant about leaving, to add to the plethora of others I had been gathering up over the previous 4 months or so. I suspect I will be returning to Canada sooner rather than later, if I can wrangle something through work. Watch this space.

In the meantime, I guess I should record some facts and figures, for my own sake if you're not that interested, in an attempt to freak me out. I have already guessed that I could have saved a small fortune had I flown about the place and rented cars for less time in different places, but we live and learn.

So, what do you want to know - or rather, what do I want to remember?? Let's try this:

Time in Canada

104 days

Time on the road

69 days

Total distance covered, inc local trips

21, 672 km (13466.4 miles)

Distance covered on long haul (approx)

20, 672 km (12845 miles)

Furthest east travelled

Tofino on Vancouver Island

Furthest west travelled

Cape Spear, Newfoundland

Furthest north travelled

Edmonton and the road between there and Jasper

Furthest south travelled

Chicago and then a bit further round the bottom of Lake Michigan

Rental cost for 3 mths, 3 wks, 2 days

About $6500

Number of fuel stops

37

Cost of fuel

$2573

Number of punctures

1 – a giant bolt in the tyre!

Number of breakdowns

0 – but I did have to stop to let the brakes cool down one time

Dents added to the car

0

Different places stayed

54

Times camped out

18 – 10 in the car, 6 canoeing, 2 on a ferry

Hitchhikers picked up

6

Hitchhikers murdered and dumped in the bushes

0

Longest day behind the wheel

13 hours

Largest distance covered in a day (approx)

700 miles (1126.5 km)

Number of moose seen

3

Bears

About a dozen, including 1 grizzly.

Beavers

0

Lynx

1

Buffalo

Hundreds!

New friends made

Lots

Old friends reunited

Even more

Hospitality debts collected

All of them, with unasked-for interest

Hospitality debts now owed

Far too many. I will pay you all back.

And that's about it. If I think of any more interesting stats I will add them in, but I reckon that ought to do it for now (I just thought of another: number of speeding tickets: 0 - and that's despite blatantly disregarding most of the speed limits in north America. Yup, I'm a right rebelly one, me).

Up coming attractions for future entries could include a return to Canada, South America or even Africa, so watch this space. Thanks once again for your company. I feel like its not been quite as exciting for everyone concerned as the South American version, but I hope it brightened your day now and again. If you feel the urge to continue travelling, you could do worse than check out my brother's blog (see the link on my page) Riding in the Tracks of Giants. He is now heading south through the US of A, aiming for Central America. Lucky bugger. Hasta luego, amigos.

1 comment:

Riding In The Tracks Of Giants said...

Thanks for the referral bro!

Have been enjoying your trip and look fwd to sharing some miles one of these days. Looks like the potential is there in the future.

And good luck with the lady!